Monday, December 04, 2006

I love cats.

It's a bit strange, because in the leather world I'm a puppy, and I've spent more than a few hours running around on all fours (usually in hotel lobbies crowded with leathermen), sniffing crotches (hello...leathermen!), and generally being man's best friend.

But when it comes to home, give me a cat over a dog any day.

First of all, a cat can take care of herself. If I decide I want a drink after work, I don't have to worry about running home to walk my cat. She'll be fine, and running a little late will just mean she's that much happier to see me.

Which brings us to secondly: cats are totally loveable. No, they may not come running at you, leaping up on your legs as soon as you walk in the front door. Hello! I don't want to be assaulted when I enter my home! I want to set down my bag, take off my jacket, and settle in to some good play time once I'm comfortable. Every cat I've had who has lived with me has been very affectionate. So what if it's on her terms rather than mine? Do I really want a relationship with someone who will love me when I say so and go away when I'm not in the mood, without regard to my friend's feelings? How boring.

I could go on at length. I suspect it's a genetic thing, as during Christmas dinner with my mother's side of the family I expect to get a full report on the recent activities of the feline companion living with each of my relatives. Yes, even my uber-butch brother loves him some kitten.

Of course I left my Niechi back in Topeka, living with a friend from school. It is a very good home and I'm sure she's doing well, but I miss her desperately.

Last night I experienced one of those rare full body memories. As I settled down under the covers, shivering a little and waiting for the bed to warm up, I could feel Niechi walking across the bed. My body recalled exactly what it felt like to have her little paws pushing the blankets down as she crossed the bed to sniff my chin and say goodnight. Her weight would come down tentatively with each step as she tested to make sure she wasn't settling on an unsupported section of blanket, but overall her gait was confident, because she knew and loved me, and had done this every night for years. I missed her so much it really hurt inside my chest for a moment.

I hope you're sleeping well, Niechi-baby.

No comments: