Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hey, I'm walkin' here!

So, let me just get this out of the way quickly: McJock (see below) is coming to visit from Philly. I'm completely thrilled and looking forward to it. We've been exchanging emails and talking on the phone. He's incredibly sweet, smart, and thoughtful. We seem to have some interests in common, such as electronic music. He definitely gets me hot and bothered. At the very least I think I've made a new friend, and anything else is bonus. And that is all I will babble, lest I embarrass myself!

It's funny, in the past few months I've begun to really feel like a New Yorker. There are upsides and downsides to that.

On the downside, I actually yelled, "get the fuck out of the way!" to a car that was blocking the crosswalk when I had the green light. A window was open so I know the driver heard me, though he did as I demanded and quickly moved on, so I'm not sure if he flipped me off or anything. It was just a tiny explosion, completely unplanned, and I shocked myself more than a little. I walked the rest of the way home bemused. I'm definitely more abrasive than I was as a meek Midwestern boy.

On the upside, I've been out of my apartment a lot. Jink told me about the old NYC chicken and egg question: do New Yorkers have small apartments because they're always out or are New Yorkers always out because they have small apartments? I certainly can't answer that, but I've been out nearly every evening lately, and it feels good. I spent most of my first two years here moping in my apartment, so I think this is a definite improvement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can think of plenty of times you yelled at people to get the fuck outta the way....you were driving and they were the walkers - how roles are reversed.

Perhaps your desire to have a car is coming out in aggression?